The Chair position is responsible for the following activities:
- Co-ordinate Parent Council Meetings: Establish dates for Parent Council meetings based on feedback from the Council. Facilitate childcare for all who require it.
- Prepare Meeting Agendas: Set the agenda for each meeting based on the TDSB requirements, the minutes from the previous meeting, as well as requests from other Council members. Prioritize each point on the agenda based on the needs of the Council. Create a time limit for each point on the agenda.
- Chair Council Meetings: Begin and end the meeting based on the established times. Introduce each point of the agenda and ensure that allotted times are followed in order to keep the meeting on track. Keep the discussion on point for each agenda item.
- Oversee Meeting Minutes: Work with the Secretary during each meeting to ensure significant points are recorded. Following the meeting, review the minutes with the Secretary and keep records of the minutes from each meeting for the Council to review at any time.
- Facilitate the Resolution of Conflict: Work to resolve any conflicts which may arise within Council in a respectful manner to all parties involved.
- Participate as an Ex-Officio Member of any Council Committees Established: Maintain an awareness of the goals and activities of any Council committees and participate within each committee.
- Represent the Council and Maintain Active Dialogue with William Burgess’ Principal: Act as the point person for the communication of issues, concerns and any other feedback from the Council to the principal.